Saturday, December 12, 2009

Day 29: Calcutta, India

So we've had just over a week in Calcutta, and I'm still not sure that I have the words to describe it. It's just so different from anything I've ever seen, or could even have imagined. We thought that after being in and experiencing Thailand, we might have at least a little idea of what India would be like, but turns out we were wrong. Being here is so eye opening. Right from when we arrived, driving to our guest house at 2am in the morning, we have been in awe of the way things are here. I still can't really get my mind around it. It's all so 'in your face'. The poverty, the disease, the desperation, even the people and smells and traffic. So different from home. The poverty is terrible. Everywhere you go there are people just lying on the street sleeping, or sitting on the sidewalk begging. You literally can't get away from it, which is very hard to handle sometimes. There are some things I hate (actually no not hate, but definitely am not a fan of) here, like; the blatent staring from guys on the street (they don't even try to hide it!); breathing in smoggy, pollutted air; the traffic and the endless sound of car horns. It's all pretty scary and intimidating, and I think Sinead especially is still coming to terms with it all, but for me, apart from those things, I really love it. I love just being here and seeing and experiencing things. I love that the people (especially the kids) are all so friendly and always say hello when you walk by. I love the food and the clothes. I love it.


This week has been great. We've spent our time working with 'Love Calcutta Arts'. The idea is pretty much that they take girls off the streets in the red light area and give them work, handmaking journals and cards and other bits of stationery. It's a Christian-based company which is cool, so as well as giving the girls a job, they have worship, and prayer time and Bible studies. We shared with them on Thursday night during their normal study time. It's been such a blessing to work alonside and get to know the girls and where they came from. They don't speak a lot of english (and we don't speak any Begali!) but somehow we've really bonded with them.


We're really excited to start at the Mother House next week. There are some people from the guest house who have been volunteering there, and really love it, so we can't wait. I'm sure it'll be very different from the week we've just had. But hopefully, as well as it being an eye-opener for us, we'll be able to really get stuck in serving.


Being here and seeing all this, I feel like my life is so comfortable. I live in my own little bubble in New Zealand, nothing ever goes too wrong for me, I don't have to struggle just to live, I know Jesus, I have a family and friends and church and an education. I am just so comfortable. And I'm sick of it. So I've been praying that God would tear me apart, turn my life upside down and break my heart for something that's worth the hurt. I want to be challenged. I want to be changed. And I want to be here and actually make some kind of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment